A Narrative of Travels in Northern Africa , in the years 1818, 19, and 20, accompanied by geographical notices of Soudan, and of the course of the Niger
Lyon's account of a trans-saharan expedition in Northern Africa, which left from Tripoli in 1818, describes the caravans of the trans-saharan slave trade that he encountered during his travels, and gives an eye-witness narrative of the ill-treatment of slaves, who were often beaten or left behind if they could not walk at the pace of the caravan. He also gives a brief account of practices of slavery in the area, particularly in chapter seven, which describes the Fezzan region (now southern Libya) and the legal regulations of slave ownership there.
With maps of Lyon's route and coloured illustrations, including one entitled 'A Slave Kaffle'.
- Date : 1821
- Surname : Lyon
- First name : George Francis
- Classification : Book
- Place of publication : London
- Publisher : John Murray
- Language : English
- Theme : Travel Writings
- Source : National Maritime Museum, London. British Library. Kongelige Bibliotek, Danmark. Bibliothèque Nationale de France.
- Weblink : http://www.archive.org/stream/anarrativetrave01lyongoog#page/n10/mode/2up
- Documents :
- Key words : North Africa Sahara Sudan Niger Slavery Travel Narrative