Au citoyen Taleyrand, ministre des relations extérieures (Paris le 17 frimaire, an 6)
The Swedish colonial theorist and abolitionist Carl Wadström's letter to the French Foreign Secretary Talleyrand was written in December 1797 and published as a preface to the French translation of his Essay on Colonization. He suggests the development of a "rivalry of generosity" (v) between Britain and France, supported by international law, and favoring colonization in Africa through a number of measures, including the abolition of the slave trade.
Published as a preface to the French translation of C. B. Wadström's An Essay on Colonization, entitled: Précis sur l'établissement des colonies de Sierra Leona et de Boulama à la Côte Occidentale de l'Afrique (Paris: C. Pougens, an VI ). See the attached download for more information about Wadström's colonial projects in West Africa.
- Date : 1798
- Surname : Wadström
- First name : Carl Bernhard
- Classification : Letter
- Place of publication : Paris
- Publisher : C. Pougens
- Language : French
- Theme : Abolition Campaigns
- Source : British Library. Bibliothèque Nationale de France. Kongelige Bibliotek, Danmark.
- Weblink :
- Documents : Wadstrom View near Bain.pdf
- Key words : Colonies Abolition Slave Trade Swedish Letter French Talleyrand Translation